When it comes to getting the word out about your network marketing products and opportunity, I believe wholeheartedly that there’s no such thing as having talked to everyone you know and exhausting your “list”. However, I also strongly believe in the need to continually growing that list and adding new people into your circle. Our profession is called NETWORK Marketing after all.
Now if you’re anything like me, the idea of having to meet new people and make new friends is enough to trigger cold sweats and night terrors. But it’s a reality I had to accept if I really wanted to succeed in this profession. Was it difficult? Sure. But I wasn’t willing to let my weaknesses get in the way of my goals. And you know what? Facing those fears has most definitely been worth it.
So, where to start?
Of course going out to eat just to talk to the wait staff isn’t necessarily cost effective. A few nights a week can be a strain on any budget let alone if you are as strapped for cash as I was. So, we have to be creative and find more cost effective ways of meeting new people. And really, if you put even just a modicum energy and thought into finding new ways to meet people, you’ll see that there are so many ways, so many thing we can do to facilitate this.
Here are just a few ideas to get you going:
- Church: most people go at least once a week. Do you know everyone at your church?
- Clubs and Meetups: You can easily connect with likeminded people doing this. There’s a club and/or meet-up for everything. Do you like to knit? Garden? Do you tinker with remote control cars? I guarantee you there’s a club for that. You just have to make the effort to find it. And what cool is that you’re meeting people with common interest so making conversation will be much easier.
- Community Yard Sales or Farmers/Flea Markets: How many of us know our neighbors beyond a wave every now and then when we take out the trash?
- Book Store: Ok so book stores might be a little slower in foot traffic but again, finding people with common interest is made simpler by the sheer fact of what isle they’re in. If you’re in a business or self development isle, chances are you’re going to come across someone on a similar journey as you.
- Online Communities and Networks: We’ll discuss this further in a later post but the internet and social media has become a powerful tool to meet and engage with new people.
The list goes on. Take some time tonight and really brainstorm all the different options you have to meet new people and you’ll find that there are really way more opportunities to connect than we might’ve originally thought.
And maybe that’s the thing. Perhaps we’ve gotten so caught up in living in our own little bubble that we’ve forgotten that there’s a whole world of people out there to discover, people that can potentially enrich our lives and perhaps more importantly whose lives we can potentially enrich. But it’ll take a willingness to put yourself out there, a drive that will push you to be at the very least a little bit uncomfortable.
So ask yourself, what are you willing to endure to achieve your goals? What are you willing to go through to have the life of your dreams?
For me the answer was simple – WHATEVER IT TOOK. If that meant being completely uncomfortable and fighting every urge to just hide in my room and not talk to anyone, then yes I was willing to do it. So push yourself. Do things you’re not used to doing. Break even just a little bit out of your comfort zone. Hell, break way far out of it. Do whatever you need to do to grow your list and add more people to your network. You’ll look back 5 years from now and know that it was all worth it.